Saturday, September 13, 2008

I'm officially a "grown-up"


I started my job a few weeks ago at Easter Seals in Covington, LA. I love it! It is a lot of work...paperwork, very specific details and such. The people I work with are wonderful. The office is filled with 36 women and 1 man. It is really like a family. It is pretty great!

The first week I worked there, I was really shy for some reason. I guess I was a bit overwhelmed. I left for lunch everyday to avoid the breakroom (sad I know). I have since gotten over my shyness and look forward to lunch each day. I work in an area of the office with 6 cubicles for us "newbies." We are all learning the ropes together. I am the youngest person in the office (go figure...I'm fresh out of college), and I feel like I have something to prove. Although it is a very relaxed atmosphere (most people wear jeans and flip flops), I have tried to dress professionally on a regular basis. I know that dressing professionally does not make up for my lack of experience, but it kind of makes me feel a little better about the situation. I don't know why.

The other day, my boss called me in her office freaking out. She wanted to confirm my birthday for some paperwork. She thought there was an error in the year. I told her no...I was born in 1986. She said "that makes you 22. I am old enough to be your mother!" I did not believe this because she looks so young! Anyways, I did not realize that I had gone so long age-unnoticed. I have now been outed. Hopefully they won't hold that against me... haha.

Overall, it has been a great experience working for Easter Seals. I love the encouraging environment! However, I do hope to go back to school part-time starting in the spring! I'm pretty excited about that! That is prettymuch all that is happening in my life right now. I just wanted to post a little update...although I know hardly anyone reads this! Laters

No comments: