Friday, August 22, 2008

The House Bunny Scandal

My rant for the day…

When I was watching the preview of The House Bunny, I noticed some familiar rose colored Greek letters: Phi Iota Mu...very similar to my own Greek affiliation, Phi Mu. In researching online, I found that the Phi Iota Mu sisters are portrayed as the villains of the plot. There is another sorority who has denounced the movie: Zeta Tau Alpha. ZTA is blatantly referenced throughout the movie. The main reference evident in the preview is that the sorority house has the turquoise letters ZTA hung above the door frame (the “E” is missing to spell out "Zeta" for the Zeta Alpha Zeta sorority).

You will see the ZTA letters on the house around 50 second mark. Check out the preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVL5Mfgw7Pw

I believe that we should be able to have a sense of humor about Greek life, and I admit that I do enjoy fictional Greek themed movies and TV shows because they are sometimes accurate but often over the top and mostly exaggerated. However, having sorority and fraternity names that are directly linked to those that truly exist is taking it a bit too far. With the movie The House Bunny, Sony Pictures is making a direct attack on specific sororities and not making a joke of Greek life in general. The Greek letters, colors, and common titles of these sororities were chosen purposefully. These allusions are intentional, and that is the main issue. While The House Bunny looks like it could be a funny movie, I will not spend my money to support a movie that would purposefully defame the names of two wonderful Fraternities for women. I hope that you will do the same.



No comments: