Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Just a little bit of car trouble

Today my engine coolant warning light came on for about a minute. It had come on briefly a few days ago, but I didn't worry about it. When it lit up again today, I called my mom (since I know nothing about cars and with her age comes car wisdom, right???). She told me to wait until she got off of work and she would fix it. I asked her if I should take it to a shop, and she said "no, I can fix it." My mom gets home around 9, and I go outside to get schooled on engine coolant car repair. She gathers a few flash lights and a pitcher of water, opens the engine door, twists open a lid and begins pouring the water in. She says "you see, it isn't that hard." Then she tells me to go inside to get some more water. I come out and she says "I don't need that water. I think I did something bad." I said "what do you mean???" She points to the lid of the compartment that she poured the water in.

FYI: DO NOT add water to compartments whose lids look like this:




Yep, that is the oil compartment...greaaaaat. So, needless to say, my car will be towed in the morning to have this little problem fixed. Thanks for the help, Mom. I learned a lot!

UPDATE:
We have another genuis on our hands. Early this morning, AAA sent a tow truck to come get my car. I explained the situation to the man and told him not to start the car. I stood outside for a few minutes and asked him if he needed any help b/c i figured we would have to put it in neutral and push it. He said no, he did not need any help. I went inside the house and back to bed for a quick nap before I had to get up to get ready for my job interview.

I called the Saturn dealership (which was where we had it shipped to) to check on the status of the repairs this afternoon. They said that the car had been STARTED and the oil/water mixture had passed through the entire engine (or wherever oil goes). Excellent. They have been flushing the lines all day and still cannot get it completely clean. So, this repair is going to cost a pretty penny and I sure hope that there is no permanent damage to my car. My mom called and filed a complaint against the tow truck driver. I doubt anything will come of that. UGH! Why why why?? Like i need this stress in my life!

Also today, my phone decided to die, so I had to go buy a new one. Yeah. Like I have money for that...whatev.

No comments: